Yesterday, my husband, our kids and I went on a 12 mile bike ride with our friends and their kids. It was amazing. We hurt, we laughed and we had so much fun. It was a beautiful day with a great breeze. It wasn't too hot, but we all got a bit of sun. Mental note: invest in sunscreen. We stopped a couple of times along the way, but we averaged about 8mi/hr. Not bad for beginners. We had snacks at the park and let the kids play. All five of the kids behaved so well. By the way, I'm so proud of my husband for hauling all three of our kids. That's an extra 100lbs. He's tougher than I am, for certain.
We plan to do it again next weekend. I can't wait! I absolutely love riding. It reminds me of my childhood and it's a great activity for my family to enjoy together. I love that we have friends that we can ride with, as well.
Today, I'm working on researching foods that lower cholesterol. So far, I've found that foods high in soluble fiber are great for reducing LDL or "bad" cholesterol by reducing the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream. Fish oil reduces blood pressure and lowers the risk of developing blood clots. Nuts are great because they are rich in polyunsaturated fats. They keep blood vessels healthy - walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, etc.. Don't forget - Not sugar coated and unsalted are best. Olive oil is high in antioxidants and should replace other fats. It can be used for sauteing, marinades, salad dressing, etc. Extra virgin olive oil is best because it is less processed and higher in antioxidants.
I plan to incorporate new foods into my diet, and eliminate others. Yesterday, I tried sushi for the first time. (The fish was cooked, though. I'll try it raw... someday.) I liked it. I also tried hummus a couple of weeks ago. Loved it. Especially the roasted red pepper. Mmm..
I'm discovering that my journey to become healthy might just be part of the adventure I've always wanted out of life. New foods, new hobbies. I'm having fun.
I'm discovering that my journey to become healthy might just be part of the adventure I've always wanted out of life. New foods, new hobbies. I'm having fun.
| Resting and re-fueling at the park |
| Me after 12 miles |
we love taking our kids in the bike carrier too! Though 12 miles with them! Impressive
ReplyDeleteThanks! I had no idea I could do it. I think maybe some of my competitive nature surfaced since we were with our friends. :) And the kids were great.
ReplyDelete