Well, I did it. In efforts to go the next mile on my health and wellness journey, I decided to try out a natural way to clean my hair. So, for the last few days, instead of using shampoo, I have used a simple mix of baking soda and water to cleanse it, and vinegar, water, and a cinnamon stick (for scent) to condition.
WHY?
To avoid using harsh chemicals on my body.
Our skin is an organ, the largest one, and is very porous. The chemicals in the soaps and detergents we use go straight into our bodies. This just seems like a bad idea, no?
To achieve healthier hair.
I've always had thick, wavy, frizzy, and unmanageable hair. I could condition all day long, but my hair is still frizzy and unhealthy. Now I know why. Shampoo is a detergent that strips your hair of all the natural oils. "But, if we stop washing our hair, won't it get oily and gross!?" Good question. I've heard it explained to be much like the supply and demand in breastfeeding a baby. The more they nurse, the more milk you produce! So, the more you strip your hair of the oil, the more oil your body produces to achieve a balance.
Because it's frugal!
AKA Cheap! I will spend much less on the ingredients for "no poo" than on the plethora of products we buy.....shampoo, conditioner, gel, mouse, anti-frizz cream/spray, hair spray, etc. I own at least one of each of those products.
HOW?
To go through the adjustment phase, I'm using
1tbs of baking soda with about 1/4cup water,
but I expect to be able to lessen this amount as time goes on and my hair adjusts.
To condition:
1/4 cup vinegar, 4 cups water, 1 cinnamon stick, 1tsp vanilla, dash of whole cloves (lasts for many uses)
I made this recipe out of reading a few examples of others. The spices are for scent when using regular white vinegar. You can also use just water and apple cider vinegar. (I didn't have any in my cabinet, though.) My hair smells spicy! I like it. ;)
Give it a try and let me know how it turns out!
I was reading something about this just a couple of days ago and was thinking I'd try it.
ReplyDeleteSo far, it's going great! My hair feels softer and very clean. :)
DeleteYou should try it.